Tuesday, March 4, 2014

Book Review: I Am Malala

Women's History Month



Ugh... why did I not like this book? I feel like a horrible person. Everyone likes this book. But, it really did nothing for me. 

Don't get me wrong, Malala is an inspirational person. I just felt like the memoir was a bit superficial and lacked emotion. It basically just recounted Pakistani history and current events. I felt like I was reading newspaper articles. It was interesting reading a first-hand account of Taliban rule, but I still felt like it was lacking. It just didn't have heart or emotion. Malala rarely talked about her personal feelings or how she felt. It was just "this is what happened on this day and time". I couldn't help but wonder if this was because the co-author wrote the book based on Malala's account and therefore didn't know Malala's personal feelings and insights.

I also felt when Malala talked about herself she came off as a bit braggy. Okay, a lot braggy. If she said something about herself it was about how smart she is. It's great that she's intelligent, but really the few times she'd really talk about her personal life she was usually talking about exams and how well she did over her fellow classmates. 

The best part of the book was probably when she got shot in the head, because then she opened up about herself and experience a bit more. Reading about her hospitlization and recovery in a foreign country was a little more interesting to me. 

I am giving I Am Malala 3 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...