Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Book Review: Bossypants

Women's History Month


Bossypants has been really popular since it was first released in 2011. I just now read it (via audiobook, actually) and I certainly enjoyed it. I really don't have much to say about it, just it was a light, humorous memoir. We first meet Fey as an awkward theater geek and as the book progresses she goes from improv to SNL to an Emmy award-winning sitcom. 

I really enjoyed Fey's feminist perspective and I felt she had many valid insights. She also seems to have an incredible work ethic. I also appreciated her views of being a working mother. The only two things that bothered me were:

1.) she wouldn't give details about how she got her scar. Of course, it's personal. But, it feels a little cheap to write a memoir and not actually talk about the kind of stuff memoirs are made of. 

2.) Her views of blondes which she refers to as "yellow hair". I guess as brunette the emphasis on blondes in the media may get annoying, but I don't feel that's really something to hold against the natural blondes of the world.

Either way, Bossypants was a fun and entertaining memoir and I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...