Sunday, November 17, 2013

Book Review: My Sister's Keeper


"Maybe who we are isn't so much about what we do, but rather what we're capable of when we least expect it."

Wow.

This book was soooo good. I've been very reluctant to read Jodi Picoult books. Just the descriptions alone make them seem a bit depressing. I don't really like to feel sad on behalf of books or movies and I certainly don't like tearjerkers. I am so glad I gave this book a try though. I picked it up while it was Audible's Deal of The Day. I decided this was my opportunity to take a chance on something new. 

This book was sad, yes. Well, it's more like the circumstances and trials of the family in the book are sad. But, for some reason I didn't find the book itself to be sad. It wasn't a tearjerker for me. It was just so well-written that it ended up being beautiful rather melancholy. 

By now, most bookworms have probably read this book. It's one of those books that even people who don't usually read have read. This is the story of Anna Fitzgerald (short for Andromeda) who is conceived to be a donor for her sister Kate who is fighting a rare and often fatal version of Leukemia. At the age of 13, Anna is expected to donate a kidney to her sister, who is in dire need of a transplant. Anna then decides to see a lawyer, Campbell Alexander, and file a lawsuit against her parents for medical emancipation. 

This book was definitely heavy. There was a lot going on even with the sub-characters. Campbell, the lawyer, who mysteriously has a service dog, but no obvious disability. Julia, a former prep-school outcast who is assigned to be Anna's guardian ad litum during the trial. Jesse, the overlooked, forgotten, and troubled older brother of Anna and Kate who lives in an apartment over the Fitzgerald's garage. Sara Fitzgerald, Anna's mom, always on the edge waiting for a medical catastrophe. Brian, Anna' father, the fire station where he works is his refuge. 

Kate's leukemia has cataclysmic affects on her whole family.

I loved that the book had multiple narrators. I enjoyed every single one. I liked every character, with the exception of Sara Fitzgerald (Anna's mom). I can't imagine what her life must be like, to have to make the decisions she's made and live through what she has. However, for some reason I just never connected with her character. I think from the get-go she's kinda set out to be the antagonist, even though she only does the best with what she has to work with. I just never really embraced her though.

I loved this book. I also loved all the astronomy facts that were woven throughout the story. The twist at the end just sealed the deal for me. It was so unexpected, but it was the perfect ending. I am giving My Sister's Keeper 5 out of 5 stars.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...