Thursday, December 26, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Ten Kids, No Pets

1988

Like most nostalgic books, this one doesn't have a good quality picture of the cover. 

As you might already know if you've been following my Throwback Thursday posts, I'm a BIG Ann M. Martin fan. I love her books. I remember reading this book when I was a child, but I didn't actually remember the story, I just knew that I had read it and liked it. Like Ann M. Martin, I love stories about large families, which is why she says she wrote this book. The family in this book, The Rosso's, definitely qualify as large, as the title suggest this is a family with ten children. All the children are one year apart and named in alphabetical order.

The Rosso children have been wanting a pet, but their mother always reminds them that ten children is enough. The family recently moved from a New York City apartment to a farm house in New Jersey have plenty of opportunity to come across animals who need their help (and hopefully adopting). 

This story was really charming, as are most Ann M. Martin books. I liked how each chapter was dedicated to a different child in the family. I love the description of somewhat rural life and living on a nice-sized plot of land. Each child was interesting and had their own hobbies, interest, and quirks and they made this book really enjoyable.

I am giving Ten Kids, No Pets 4 out of 5 stars. I look forward to reading Eleven Kids, One Summer next.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...