Thursday, November 21, 2013

Throwback Thursday: The Secret of The Old Clock (Nancy Drew Mystery Stories #1)

1930

I feel sort of misled. Why did I think Nancy Drew solved murders? I thought she was like Scooby-Doo... but a person. Oh well. Now that I think of it Scooby-Doo doesn't really solve murders either. So I guess he and Nancy do have some things in common.

This is obviously the first Nancy Drew book I've read. Even though she didn't solve a murder like I expected, she did help find a missing will. If you haven't guessed by the name of the book, the will was hidden in the old clock. But, Nancy goes on quite an adventure to find the clock.

Even though the book was predictable it was still charming. Nancy has her stuff together. This girl right here can change a flat tire and fix a boat motor while stranded in the middle of the lake. Now I know why so many women look up to Nancy as a feminist heroine. She's super smart and always polite and tactful to boot. Not to mention she's fashionable.

I enjoyed this book and was able to read it one sitting, while trying to put a baby to sleep. The book was cozy and probably paved the way for the cozy mystery genre that is so popular today. I say probably just because I really don't know anything about the history of cozy mysteries. 

I am giving The Secret of The Old Clock 4 out of 5 stars.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...