Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Book Review: The Yonahlossee Riding Camp for Girls


"I was not so angry with my situation that I could not discern beauty."

I listened to this as an audiobook from Audible. I didn't really know what to expect. All I knew was the title sounded interesting and I liked the colors on the cover. Grey and gold are a surprisingly nice mix. I'm very superficial like that. I choose books by their covers. Usually I regret it. Not this time!

The Yonahlossee Riding Camp For Girls was so delicious. The first surprise was it was based between the only two states I've ever lived in, Florida and North Carolina. I've lived in Central Florida my whole life except for half a year spent in Central North Carolina. The main character in The Yonahlossee Riding Camp For Girls, Thea, lives in Depression-Era Central Florida in a small, rural town. I loved the descriptions of rural Florida. I just love books set in my home state. From descriptions of the crisp winter mornings to the oppressing heat of summer. Sunsets and orange groves. Mosquitoes and snakes. I love it all. 

Anyways, this book had everything. Family secrets, forbidden love and passion, all-girls schools, lots of drama. When the book begins we know something has happened, that Thea has done something to get her sent away to a boarding school in North Carolina. The reader isn't sure quite what Thea did until after the middle of the book, though the event is alluded to on several occasions. The reader can pretty much guess what Thea did, but not the details or the extent to which Thea's "crime" affected her family.

I really enjoyed this book and I'm giving it 4 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...