Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Book Review: In a Blink (The Never Girls #1)


In a Blink is the story of four friends who are playing one day, when they are accidentally sent to Never Land.  Never Land is a magical place filled with all sorts of lovely and enchanting things to discover, just like in the Disney movie Peter Pan. This book is based on the concept of that movie, but with a modern twist and so far no Peter Pan appears, though there is mention of "lost" children, who will never grow up. Even though there's no Peter Pan, there is, of course, fairies. Plenty of new fairies are introduced in this book, along with an old favorite, Tink. 

I really like how Tink is portrayed in this book. Usually she is portrayed as very snobby and jealous and somewhat naughty. In this book, we really get a fresh perspective. Even though, she's not happy about the arrival of "clumsies" which is what fairies call humans- she still remains pleasant and kind. I also like that she is a "tinkerer" so she fixes things, which I think is great. I like that author didn't feel the need to make her into a gender stereotype or even a fairy stereotype. She's strong and intelligent.

This book just has a very magical ambiance and even as an adult I enjoyed it. The dynamics of the friendships of the four girls were realistic, but not overly dramatic. One of them even learns a valuable lesson when she lets a bad fairy persuade her into doing something the girl feels isn't right. If you have a girl between the ages of 6 /7 and 10 I could definitely see them enjoying this one. It's also very innocent and I'd give it a 'G' rating, so parents don't have to worry about the content. 

I'm giving In a Blink 4 out of 5 stars and my little sister and I both look forward to reading more in this series.

Chloe Says 

The book was very fun and there was a sneaky fairy. I thought it was very good because it shows about friendship. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...