Friday, January 17, 2014

Book Review: The Interestings


My first impression of The Interestings was that the title was obviously a misnomer, the book wasn't bad, but it was also not very interesting. Of course, the title is a reference, not a proclamation, to a group of friends who meet during summer camp one summer. They refer to themselves as "The Interestings" because they find themselves to be so brilliant and creative and well... interesting. 

The book spans almost the entirety of their lives. From that summer at camp to their 50s when they have grown-up children and relationships and even illnesses. It was a bit too much for me. I felt like the book was entirely too long for how boring it was. I often felt like it was a book about nothing. It didn't seem to have a point to me. Once again, it wasn't bad... I just couldn't find the purpose. 

It was also confusing to me how it was always jumping around in time. I felt like it'd be better if the story was told in chronological order. I also never really connected with the characters, so I found it hard to care about them. The only character I could really garner interest in was Jonah. He was the only one who ever seemed unique or interesting to me.

I am giving The Interestings 2 out of 5 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...