Thursday, November 14, 2013

Throwback Thursday: Kristy's Great Idea (The Baby-Sitter's Club #1)


I just re-read the first book in The Baby-sitter's Club series, Kristy's Great Idea. This series was hugely popular when I was in elementary school. I had so many of these books. I know I read some of them, but I can't even remember which ones. I'm going to try to re-read the series gradually over time as an adult. The great thing about nostalgic books from the '80s and '90s is that they can be found used online, for usually a little under $4.00. 

Kristy's Great Idea definitely did not disappoint me. It was just as good as an adult as it was when I was a child. I love how all four of the girls had their own personalities and styles, but every one of them was likable. I also loved that they had rules. That's something rare to come across in a young adult book nowadays. Claudia, Kristy, Stacey, and Mary Anne's parents had expectations of their daughters and rules for them to abide by. The girls weren't rebellious or troublemakers, but I feel that Ann M. Martin still gave them a way to express themselves. Kristy doesn't like her mom's fiance, Claudia doesn't do as well in school as her sister, Mary Anne's dad is super strict, and Stacey feels the need to lie to her need about a health problem she has.

I look forward to continuing the series and reminiscing about my childhood. Ann M. Martin has an amazing talent for writing. 4 out of 5 stars.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...