Thursday, May 9, 2013

Book Review: Secondhand Horses


Secondhand Horses is the third book in a series about a group of four friends who rescue animals in need. I have not read the first two, though I do feel I was able to pick up on the story without any problems. Secondhand Horses is a cute series appropriate for girls, probably between 8 to 10-years-old. 

The book features wholesome characters. The series is a Christian series, however there was hardly any talk about God or prayer, which I did find odd. I would have liked to see more of the Christian aspect incorporated into the story. As much trouble as the main character got herself into, it never occurred to her to call on God for help. There was one scene where the girls were supposed to go to church, but it never came to fruition. 

I did find that as an adult, I was not able to connect with this book. I don't know if that was the books fault or mine. I do believe that a good children's book will speak to people of all ages. This one didn't, but I suppose it wasn't meant to be some grand literary feat. It's just a simple and sweet novel about friends doing good. Which is great. I don't think it's fair to give it a poor rating because I did not connect with it, so I'm trying to put myself back in the shoes of my 10-year-old self. So, I am giving this book 3 out of 5 stars, even though as an adult I want to give it 2 out of 5 stars.

I could see any young girl who loves animals enjoying this book. I plan to keep this series in mind for my 6-year-old sister and I will recommend it to Christian friends looking for a nice chapter book for their not yet preteen daughters.

I received this book as an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) courtesy of Netgalley and Barbour Publishing, Inc in exchange for an honest review

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...