Friday, May 17, 2013

Book Review: Hill Country Cattleman


Hill Country Cattleman is my first Harlequin book. In the big scope of things, just recently did I start reading romances. I stayed away from Harlequin for the most part because I feared they'd be really cheesy. I didn't find that was totally the case though.

Hill Country Cattleman is about Violet Brookfield, who travels from England to Texas to avoid a scandal overseas after she became romantically involved with a playboy Earl. To save her good name, her brother Edward,  packs her up and ships her off for Texas to stay with her other brother Nick and his wife Milly. While in Texas, Violet is determined to make the most of it by doing research for the western novel she is writing. While there she meets a sweet and good-looking cowboy named Raleigh. Raleigh is enough to make her forget all about the Earl she left behind in England.

This book was actually really good, it was sweet and had some action to it. The villain in this book would probably be in my top ten most annoying villains of all time. He was so nasty. I hated him. After the romance came in it did get a bit cheesy. Raleigh called Violet "sweetheart" so much that I felt nauseous. Every single thing he said to her seemed like it either began or ended with "sweetheart". It was a little much. It's just small details like that that can take a book from romantic to cheesy real quick. Despite that, the book was still good and I give my first Harlequin Love Inspired Historical 4 out of 5 stars.

This book is actually the sixth in a series called Brides of Simpson Creek. However, I feel I was able to read this book without any problems due to not reading the first five. Each book has different characters, but the books focus on the town of Simpson Creek and a group of women called the Spinsters Club. In each book I guess each spinster finds love. I would really like to go back and read the first five now and find out in depth about the lives of the various couples that were mentioned in this book.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...