Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Book Review: Grave Consequences


Grave Consequences is the second book in Lisa Tawn Bergren's Grand Tour series. It's no secret that I loved the first book, Glamorous Illusions and it now sits prettily on my Goodreads Favorites Shelf. I enjoyed this book just as much as the first and I am giving it 5 out of 5 stars. I'm not even being generous or giving it a pity star, I really loved it!

There is just something about Lisa Tawn Bergren's writing that really makes me feel as if I am on The Grand Tour right along with the main characters. After reading this book I really feel like I have been to France, Switzerland, Austria, and Italy. I mentioned in my review of Glamorous Illusions that I'm not even interested in France, yet the way she describes it and writes about it, it actually makes me really enjoy it! Italy is another country I have very little-to-no interest in whatsoever. I think it's just the cliche. But, the author really brings you above that stereotypical atmosphere that seems to come along with fictional accounts of those two countries. So kudos to her.

The story in this one is just as thrilling as in the last. The Kensingtons and Morgans are still fleeing from kidnappers while trying to have a jolly-good-time on their vacation. Besides the kidnappers, there's at least two other exciting events- both almost near-death experiences for Cora. She really is accident prone. We also get to see the forbidden romance between Cora and Will blossom a bit, but not without plenty of complications along the way. Speaking of Will, look at the guy on the cover. That is not Will. I mean, I guess it is Will... but that guy is like husky. Will is supposed be toned and buff. This dude looks like Tim Taylor's Home Improvement sidekick, Al. And was Cora photoshopped in? Why does she appear to be floating above Will? I guess she's behind him, but it doesn't look right. There's a lot going on in that cover, it's too busy. It really looks more like a cover fitting for a werewolf or vampire novel.

Anyways, I also enjoying learning more about Cora's siblings and their friends. Especially, seeing Hugh be more polite and charming. He has his special little heroic moment that is almost swoon-worthy and I'd love to see more of him in the next book. I'm really enjoying seeing the relationships between the characters and the dynamics of their relationships grow. This is also a book with a love triangle that seems plausible and relevant. 

If you liked Glamorous Illusions you will certainly enjoy the second in the series, Grave Consequences. I cannot wait for the third, Glittering Promises to be released on October 1st!


This cover is nice, right? Cora has finally got a new dress on, pretty Italian scenery in the background, Will's suit matches Cora's hat. I'm a cover girl. I like reading pretty books.

I received this book as an Advanced Reader Copy (ARC) courtesy of Netgalley and David C. Cook in exchange for an honest review.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...